[Hawkular-dev] Documentation writing

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Thu Feb 19 16:00:49 EST 2015

> Am 19.02.2015 um 21:50 schrieb Catherine Robson <crobson at redhat.com>:
>
> Would we be able to take documentation written in Git with Asciidoc and dynamically place that into other UI outputs?  Two reasons of why this might be useful:
>
> - Bring documentation into the Hawkular community website to describe certain capabilties

Actually this poll is about community web site - user and developer documentation.

> - Bring documentation into the web console as context sensitive help pop-ups/sidebars

Yes, that can be done in at least two ways:
- reference the AsciiDoc content and render it locally into e.g. html
- have the community site be rendered into html and reference and just display it locally

> My current understanding of Asciidoc tells me this would be possible - but wanted to ask!

Asciidoc is first and foremost a markup schema that is very human readable without additional processing tools.

For example this is a part of the rest-api documentation (generated from Swagger+Jax-RS annotations on the code)

-----------------------------snip--------------------------
= Rest-Api for Hawkular-Inventory

== Rest api for Hawkular Inventory

Implemented in: org.hawkular.inventory.rest.RestApi

Produces:

* application/json

=== GET //

[.lead]

Return type: org.hawkular.inventory.rest.StringWrapper

=== POST //{tenantId}/resources

[.lead]

Return type: javax.ws.rs.core.Response

.Parameters
|===
|Name|Required|Type|Allowed Values|Default Value|Description

|tenantId|true|PATH|all||Id of the tenant
||true|BODY|all||The Resource to add
|===

And like in html, anchors can be built in and referenced later.

For e.g. http://hawkular.github.io/community/join.html
the source code is here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hawkular/hawkular.github.io/pages/src/main/jbake/content/community/join.adoc

Hope that helps

    Heiko

--
Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Technopark II, Haus C,
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14, D-85630 Grasbrunn