[Hawkular-dev] [GSoC] Hawkular Android Client: Weekly Report #7

Artur Dryomov artur.dryomov at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 04:58:01 EDT 2015

Hi everyone,

This year I am working on the Hawkular Android application as part of the
Google Summer of Code 2015 program.

This morning Heiko had merged two pull requests. The first one is important
and is related to the API update, hopefully you can use the latest Hawkular
version with the application at this point—well, at least the 1.0.0 Alpha 2
[1]. The second one is more minor, but helpful—you can now filter alerts by
time periods, just like the web UI [2].

I wanted to discuss future plans—mostly because the application itself is
working and all basic features are available. Most of all I would like to
receive some feedback regarding the direction of the future development.
And I totally understand that Hawkular itself is evolving and there are
more changes to come.

Major.

   - Accounts. I need to investigate if it is possible at all, but multiple
   accounts handling would be nice. If it is not, at least logging out should
   be supported. There is some work done about that, but the discussion
   suddenly calmed down [3].
   - Navigation. I am not entirely sure that the current navigation handles
   everything properly. For example, at the moment all alerts are shown when
   browsing alerts. There should be some categorization based on resources,
   but at moment there are no proper API calls supporting it. The only thing
   we have is filtering via trigger IDs. Web UI solution is mostly a hack from
   my perspective [4].
   - Applications. This is a big one. I need to try to configure it and
   play with the API to understand how it works and how can I adapt the
   application to handle it.

Minor.

   - Chart. Distinguish availability and threshold ones. Not sure if it is
   possible in a flexible way, because Inventory at this point doesn’t show a
   type in the Metric model.
   - Chart. Make it more like the web one. I’m kind of limited by the used
   chart library, plus it is tricky to handle large sets of data, especially
   for months and years. Trying to dig through the TypeScript source code to
   understand how the web UI works.
   - Lists. Maybe add pull-to-refresh support. Purely cosmetic and utility
   change, not sure if it will be useful actually.

Most likely I should restructure these points into GitHub issues and work
on them, but I wanted to receive some feedback if it is possible. What do
you want to see in the application? What do you think should be primary
goals at this point?

Thanks and have a nice week!
Artur.

[1]: https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-android-client/pull/28