[Hawkular-dev] Parent POM and Wildfly BOM

Thomas Segismont tsegismo at redhat.com
Mon Jul 20 04:49:09 EDT 2015

Le 14/07/2015 13:06, Peter Palaga a écrit :
> Hi Thomas,
>
> As I noted in your PR
> https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-parent-pom/pull/33 if we remove
> <scope>import</scope> from the WF BoM dependency, all artifacts declared
> in the WF BoM will effectivelly become invisible in Hawkular projects.

Yes, that's intended.

> The WF BoM dependency here in parent would thus become completely
> useless (and can thus be removed completely), would it not?

No it wouldn't, as Wildfly-based projects should all be using the same
BOM version.

> As far as I can see your main motivation for this change was to stop
> forcing Wildfly BOM on projects that do not need it. The way how we
> should depend on WildFly BoM is a complicated topic. To build my own
> position, I tried to figure out,

It's not important to me if 80, 90 or 99% of our projects our Wildfly
based. Importing the BOM in the parent POM gives the 1% projects no way
to escape.

If Hawkular projects want the BOM imported for all their submodules then
it's a matter of adding this in the component parent POM:

----
<dependency>
  <groupId>org.wildfly.bom</groupId>
  <artifactId>jboss-javaee-7.0-wildfly</artifactId>
  <scope>import</scope>
</dependency>
----

Not too much to add (and that could have been included in the various PR
sent to upgrade to parent POM 18).

When this thread was started a month ago, we've agreed not forcing
scopes in dependency management sections. Then we've started discussions
with the Wildfly team and, thanks them, we got a Wildfly BOM version 9
without the forced scopes. Now we're doing the opposite in our own parent...