[Hawkular-dev] Parent POM and Wildfly BOM

Peter Palaga ppalaga at redhat.com
Mon Jul 20 06:40:39 EDT 2015

Hi Thomas, inline...

On 2015-07-20 10:49, Thomas Segismont wrote:
> Le 14/07/2015 13:06, Peter Palaga a écrit :
>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> As I noted in your PR
>> https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-parent-pom/pull/33 if we remove
>> <scope>import</scope> from the WF BoM dependency, all artifacts declared
>> in the WF BoM will effectivelly become invisible in Hawkular projects.
>
> Yes, that's intended.
>
>> The WF BoM dependency here in parent would thus become completely
>> useless (and can thus be removed completely), would it not?
>
> No it wouldn't, as Wildfly-based projects should all be using the same
> BOM version.

OK, I can see now how you meant it.

>> As far as I can see your main motivation for this change was to stop
>> forcing Wildfly BOM on projects that do not need it. The way how we
>> should depend on WildFly BoM is a complicated topic. To build my own
>> position, I tried to figure out,
>
> It's not important to me if 80, 90 or 99% of our projects our Wildfly
> based. Importing the BOM in the parent POM gives the 1% projects no way
> to escape.

In my last message I claim to have shown that it is effectivelly 100% of
components. Which specific project "needs to escape" from your point of
view?

> If Hawkular projects want the BOM imported for all their submodules then
> it's a matter of adding this in the component parent POM:
>
> ----
> <dependency>
>    <groupId>org.wildfly.bom</groupId>
>    <artifactId>jboss-javaee-7.0-wildfly</artifactId>
>    <scope>import</scope>
> </dependency>
> ----
>
> Not too much to add (and that could have been included in the various PR
> sent to upgrade to parent POM 18).
>
> When this thread was started a month ago, we've agreed not forcing
> scopes in dependency management sections. Then we've started discussions
> with the Wildfly team and, thanks them, we got a Wildfly BOM version 9
> without the forced scopes.

Sorry, I must have overseen that you were asking WF team to remove the
scopes from their management. From your mails understood rather the
opposite, namely, that they added provided scope, that we need to adapt to.

Is this where they did what you asked for?
https://github.com/wildfly/boms/commit/9e568fe4eb41d978c3181a90b5bb4d389ebcc019
- because that's where they removed provided from resteasy but all the
rest stood provided.

And sorry, that I started to think about the real consequences only when
I saw your PR.

Thanks,

Peter