[Hawkular-dev] Parent POM and Wildfly BOM

Thomas Segismont tsegismo at redhat.com
Tue Jul 21 10:31:38 EDT 2015

Le 21/07/2015 14:26, Lukas Krejci a écrit :
> So wait a minute.
>
> The changed dependency "suddenly" broke your rest tests.
>
> IMHO, that is good in a sense that you now know something new about being
> deployed in another runtime environment (namely WF9) which metrics WILL BE
> deployed into.

rest-tests module will never be deployed into Wildfly.

> Can it be painful? Yes, we've all been through such things. Is it avoidable? I
> don't think so.

Yes *it is* avoidable. Don't force dependency versions and scopes for
non WAR/EAR modules. Simply declare the BOM version in the parent, and
import the BOM in WAR/EAR modules to be deployed to Hawkular.

> The versions of the modules coming from the Hawkular parent are what Hawkular
> as whole standardizes on. You should not care about where they actually come
> from (and the fact that they come from WF bom is a good thing, btw).
>
> If you open the door for individual modules having non-standard versions of
> dependencies, you know where we're going to end up.
 >
 > I feel your pain, but please - standardization is more important that
 > occasional troubles of a single component.

I've *never* suggested to drop usage of the BOM for WAR/EAR modules to
be deployed to Hawkular (that is, to Wildfly).

In fact, if you look at git history, you'll notice *I* removed the
manual dependency declarations in the metrics WAR project in order to
use the Wildfly BOM.
It was quite some time ago, when there was no Hawkular org and Metrics
was called rhq-metrics. Then it was later factored out to the parent,
which is a good thing, with respect to BOM version enforcement.