[Hawkular-dev] [Metrics] Unified query support brainstorming

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Fri Jul 24 07:29:35 EDT 2015

On 24 Jul 2015, at 12:55, Peter Palaga wrote:

> quick googling shows RSQL https://github.com/jirutka/rsql-parser (MIT
> License) as quite a promising match for our needs. Anybody else

I started an email about this, but yours made me cancel it :)
The above - be it RSQL or any other - is what I would propose
too. Filtering by tags is clearly cool, but only a first step.
We certainly would need some more free form language that also
allows to find metrics that are e.g. above a certain value (both
finding the name of such a metric, and finding time ranges in
a given (set of) metrics that match the constraint should work.

Having a query language that follows some already known
syntax/semantic will be a plus in adoption. I also believe
that explicitly writing 'and' and 'or' instead of ';' and ':' will
help users similar for comparators as in

name=="Kill Bill" and year>2003
as opposed to
name=="Kill Bill";year=gt=2003

I wonder though if being even "more SQL-like" would even be
better for the adoption.

 Heiko