[Hawkular-dev] Parent POM and Wildfly BOM

Peter Palaga ppalaga at redhat.com
Fri Jul 24 12:37:11 EDT 2015

Hi Thomas,

I was quite undecided about this change, but because it impacts all
consumers of Hawkular Parent (and implies some work in all consumers) I
hoped to hear about some specific module where the change is inevitable,
because the current state is dysfunctional due to the import of WF BoM.
You have not seem to have provided such one.

I am making my best to understand the background of your proposal. So to
paraphrase your position, the WF BoM import in Parent is not causing
anything bad directly, you just do not find it good that in non-WF
related modules (ptrans, REST tests) one may easily overlook that one
actually makes use of a version managed in WF BoM. When one is aware of
the fact that the given artifact is managed in WF BoM and one does not
want that, one is free to put one's own explicit version on the
dependency and the problem is solved (at least at the physical class
path level).

I agree that this "possibility to overlook" really exists, but I do not
think it is harmful enough to remove the WF BoM import from our Parent
BoM, mainly because the vast majority of our modules do target WF.

I agree that your proposal is in some sense cleaner, than what we have
now, but I do not think it is worth of the effort.

To name a situation where removing the WF BoM import would make sense
to me (Stefan asked about that): E.g. if we decided to target additional
platforms that support APIs conflicting with those of WF.

I prefer not to adopt this proposal, but I am far from being strongly
against it. Is there anybody else who wants to veto?

Thanks,

Peter