[Hawkular-dev] Could not connect to Cassandra ... - does it have to be a WARN with a stack trace?

Jay Shaughnessy jshaughn at redhat.com
Mon Jul 27 10:28:25 EDT 2015

On 7/27/2015 9:53 AM, Matt Wringe wrote:
> There are a couple of things here.
>
> One is the embedded Cassandra. I don't know if its a dependency issue in
> that we are not defining the embedded Cassandra as a dependency properly
> or if its something along the lines of that the dependency is started,
> but not yet able to accept connections yet. Either way, it looks like we
> need to figure that out and handle the warning in the logs better (which
> could be fixing the dependency management, or making it info level for
> the first couple of failures).

I don't think It's feasible to add a dependency on embedded cassandra
because we want to support embedded or remote and jboss-all.xml does not
support optional deployment dependencies (afaik).  So, I think the best
you can do with the nest deployment is what hawkular-alerts-metrics.war
does, it depends on hawkular-metrics-api-jaxrs.war.  But it may be the
case that you don't want your deployment to know it's part of hawkular
at all. In that case adding a jboss-all.xml means you need to build
specifically for hawkular.

If we want to suppress the messages the for some fairly large period
either don't log or log info/debug.

> The other issue is when we are using an external Cassandra and its not
> yet available to take connections when Hawkular is started. In Hawkular
> Metrics anyways, it will start and throw the warning messages in the
> logs until Cassandra is fully running. This is done so that we can start
> Hawkular Metrics and Cassandra at the same time and not have to worry
> about the order of things. This is really handy if Cassandra and
> Hawkular Metrics are configured as services to start when the machine is
> rebooted, and also when dealing with containers (especially since
> containers don't have the same concept of dependencies).
>
> But maybe these should be changed to 'info' level for the first while
> and only then transformed into 'warnings'. Or handled in some other
> manner. Its a bit weird since when starting containers at the same time,
> the initial failures are expected, but if they persist, it usually means
> the Cassandra container was not started or failed to startup properly.

+1, same sort of thing.