[Hawkular-dev] [GSoC] Hawkular Android Client: Weekly Report #2

Artur Dryomov artur.dryomov at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 03:27:10 EDT 2015

Hi everyone,

This year I am working on the Hawkular Android application as part of the
Google Summer of Code 2015 program.

I’ve spent the last week on the application development and writing a
script which will allow me to populate a Hawkular instance with sample data.

The application itself [1] at this point can use a custom server URL. After
pressing a button you will see an OAuth dialog which will allow you to
login using your Hawkular credentials. This step will automatically
redirect you to the resource types screen. AeroGear did a great job with
the authorization process — seems like all necessary headers are set
without any additional cost from my side. Regarding the fun part — the
application got a fancy theme in red and orange colors based on the
official logo. The icon is there as well. You can take a look at some
screenshots [2].

With the help from various Hawkular modules source code and useful links
from Jiri Kremser I’ve created a gist with HTTPie [3] commands [4]. My goal
was to populate a server from the ground up — from tenants to metric data.
Unfortunately I’m having some issues with it.

⋅ First. I am able to create a tenant but if I try to create an environment
on it — the response gives me 403 Forbidden. At the same time creating an
environment for a tenant from "/inventory/tenant" is flawless. Maybe it is
somehow related to metrics-inventory communication. Inventory has a single
tenant, metrics can have multiple. I see no ability to set an active tenant
for the inventory using the API.
⋅ Second. Seems like I’m adding data to metrics the wrong way. It is
created without any issues, but I cannot see it from the query.

This week I would like work on those areas implementing rest of Inventory
screens for the application and fixing and expanding the script to get
something to display at the application :-) If someone has a real-world
example of multiple resources, metrics and metrics-related data — it will
be a great help.

Have a nice week!
Artur.

[1]: https://github.com/hawkular/android-client