[Hawkular-dev] Tag concept in metrics and alerts

Lucas Ponce lponce at redhat.com
Wed Jun 24 07:27:18 EDT 2015

Thx Gary,

Comments in-line,

> Hi Lucas
>
> The context is around the topic of HWKALERTS-49 - being able to replicate the
> RTGov 'situation' functionality using alerts. I think the main part missing
> at the moment is being able to associate the Alert with the business
> transaction information that caused it.
>
> I believe there are two scenarios that may occur, where business transaction
> data may result in an Alert:
>
> (1) metrics derived from the business transaction data are applied to the
> alert engine resulting in an alert - the persisted Alert will need to
> contain some link back to the business transaction. Metrics has their 'tag'
> name/value pair, which I believe could be used to store this info when the
> metric is created - so just need a way to carry that over into the alert.
>
> (2) other 'events' - so for example, if we identify some situation of
> interest (a service failure), we create an object representing that
> situation and send it to the alerts engine - again the originating business
> transaction id would need to be carried across via the intermediate 'service
> failure' object.
>
> Is it possible this could be handled by the work you are doing on HALERT-57?

In HWKALERTS-57 we are improving the Action model to pass the Alert that was linked and also the Alert should have information about the definition who triggered it.

So, having an action, you will have the alert and the definition data.

If the business transaction info is "mapped" into the definition, the action will have it.

These requeriments were addressed by plugins but as we are still working on it, we can join other requeriments in the same context to improve it.

How do you plan to map the BTM info into the definition ? using Tags ?

That can help me to add/modify some aspect of the present work.

Thanks,
Lucas