[Hawkular-dev] Coming to Parent: publishing JavaDoc and sources via Maven

Peter Palaga ppalaga at redhat.com
Mon Mar 30 15:28:43 EDT 2015

Hi Stefan,

The motivation for this change is to get source and JavaDoc loaded
automagically by IDEs. Is that not an aim worth pursuing?
The change was proposed by mazz https://issues.jboss.org/browse/HAWKULAR-86

More inline...

On 03/30/2015 04:29 PM, Stefan Negrea wrote:
> Hello Peter,
>
> Wewould like to disable (or not have it all) in the Hawkular Metrics
> project.
> Hawkular Metrics iterates at a fast pace and this would be a
> huge distraction due to the rapidly changing design and
> implementation. At this stage we are focused on building a great
> project so agile tooling and minimal requirements are paramount.

Could you please be more specific what kind of distraction you have in
mind?
To put it more clearly, JavaDoc and source jars are generated only when
"release" profile is active. I would not say running those two plugins
is a part of anyone's daily routine. Releases done by CI taking a couple
of seconds longer is outweighted by the benefit of getting the sources
in IDEs.
Perhaps it is also necessary to note that the plugins as configured in
https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-parent-pom/pull/20 *just work* -
they produce what they are supposed to and they do not shout loudly
about the quality. The quality checks for JavaDoc are explicitly
disabled by -Xdoclint:none and it is an open question if this should be
changed in the future. Maybe it is just here that you vote against?

> Can you please provide documentation on how to disable this at the
> project level?

Are you sure you need it, given all the above?

Best,

Peter

[2] http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/tools/unix/javac.html