[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular integration

Gary Brown gbrown at redhat.com
Wed May 20 05:42:27 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----

> > One issue may be patching the product - if each component has its own
> > deployment (with glue added using overlay), then if a component needs to
> > be patched, it is just a case of replacing that one module.
>
> I don't think it makes a difference, we would want to touch the smallest
> possible part because one-off patches may collide.

I guess first point to clear up is where the ear/wars would go. Based on using the nest, my assumption was that hawkular (in whatever form) would be deployed in the modules folder - in which case they would not be exploded, which would make patching more difficult.

However if we are going to be placing the archive(s) in standalone/deployment, then it is not an issue. So we need to clarify which location we are talking about.

> > We also need to consider component reuse. If all of the integration glue
> > code is in hawkular, then any other projects that want to reuse just one
> > component has to depend on artifacts from two repos. If all of the glue
> > code was also in component, then (as with hawkular) the other components
> > simply assemble the required components and configure as required.
>
> Which components and reuse where ?
> I think a library can be reused, or Hawkular metrics can be reused as
> standalone project. I hardly think that a component depending on the bus
> would be reused by anyone.

One possibility is apiman - I could see them using metrics initially but then wanting alerts to help detect situations and notify users. I guess they would have two options, use hawkular as a complete solution, or metrics+alerts - but then if each component had no bus integration available, they would need to provide that glue themselves.

So maybe it comes down to whether, even though used internally, is the bus considered to be one of the reusable components of the hawkular project?

Regards
Gary