[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular integration

Thomas Heute theute at redhat.com
Wed May 20 05:54:36 EDT 2015

On 05/20/2015 11:42 AM, Gary Brown wrote:

> [...]

I think this is a different issue. It can be anywhere in exploded
format. I am not sure why we have "deployments" in "modules" now that's
a topic on its own. (related to WF layering)

>>> We also need to consider component reuse. If all of the integration glue
>>> code is in hawkular, then any other projects that want to reuse just one
>>> component has to depend on artifacts from two repos. If all of the glue
>>> code was also in component, then (as with hawkular) the other components
>>> simply assemble the required components and configure as required.
>>
>> Which components and reuse where ?
>> I think a library can be reused, or Hawkular metrics can be reused as
>> standalone project. I hardly think that a component depending on the bus
>> would be reused by anyone.
>>

> One possibility is apiman - I could see them using metrics initially but then wanting alerts to help detect situations and notify users. I guess they would have two options, use hawkular as a complete solution, or metrics+alerts - but then if each component had no bus integration available, they would need to provide that glue themselves.

It's likely preferable to use metrics + alerts without the dependency on
the bus (or use the whole thing)

> So maybe it comes down to whether, even though used internally, is the bus considered to be one of the reusable components of the hawkular project?

For me it isn't.
I can hardly imagine someone willing to bring this piece in their
architecture. They may have a bus already (and then would want to
integrate with it) or prefer not to use one at all.

In the same way, I wouldn't integrate something that use some Spring
dependency injection or Google Guice when I built my solution around
CDI. (unless I really have no choice)

Thomas