[Hawkular-dev] [process] tickets and PRs

Lukas Krejci lkrejci at redhat.com
Thu May 28 07:50:31 EDT 2015

On Thursday, May 28, 2015 13:35:50 Juraci Paixão Kröhling wrote:
> On 05/28/2015 12:50 PM, Lukas Krejci wrote:
> > -1 on squashing all PRs (if that is what you meant).
> >
> > IMHO squashes are a nice feature to get rid of "garbage" commits
> > PRIOR to pushing those commits upstream but SHOULD NOT be used to
> > modify any commits that exists also remotely.
>
> I think that's what Lucas meant, and this is certainly what I meant
>
> :-) To make it clear: I'm in favor of squashing the multiple commits
>
> *for a single PR*. Once the single commit for the PR is merged into
> master, there's no coming back.

I'm -1 on that then. This defeats the purpose of distributed development.

What that means is that you are basically rebasing everything on top of master
while at the same time destroying the history of the feature development.

How can the contributors know their commits made it to the repository?

Also, why destroy information when you can easily "linearize" the log history?

git log --oneline --no-merges