[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular Metrics 0.9.0 - Release & Beyond

Michael Foley mfoley at redhat.com
Mon Nov 2 18:39:29 EST 2015

Hi,

This is great news! Congratulations all!

So since Hawk-Metrics is consumed by Openshift 3.1 ....and Openshift 3.1 is 17 days from GA ..... please help me understand this release a bit more. I am curious now how this Hawk-Metrics release stream relates to the Openshift stream.

Is it?

Hawk-Metrics Version Openshift Version
0.8.0 3.1
0.9.0 3.1.1??

Or ... is there no direct intersection of the Hawk-Metrics release stream and the Openshift stream ... because there exists the Openshift Origin Metrics project ? [ https://github.com/openshift/origin-metrics ]

The reason I ask is the use-case around patching Hawk-Metrics for Openshift 3.1. Visualize this perhaps unlikely scenario, ...a bug is found in Hawk-Metrics in Openshift 3.1 that we need to address.

    * there is a bug or defect in Hawk-Metrics (presumably version 0.8.0?) as it exists in Openshift Origin Metrics and Openshift 3.1 GA.
    * we need to supply a fix, ASAP
    * is this bug fix coming from Origin Metrics? Hawk-Metrics version 0.8.0? Hawk-Metrics 0.9.0?
    * what version of Hawk-Metrics would development put the fix in? What version of Hawk-Metrics would QE use to perform the qualification of this fix?
    * is what is in Openshift Origin Metrics ... is that code Hawk-Metrics 0.8.0 final? Or was that something else? Is that code in Orign Metrics ...the integration point with OSE... updated when you update Hawk-Metrics?
I just want to understand this a bit more ...how these projects are coupled ... as the answer is important to the continued support and new feature development of metrics as it relates to the 1 consumer of Hawk-Metrics ...OSE 3.1. More generally, I would like to understand how this stream of Hawk-Metric releases is related to the OSE stream ... what the plan is there ...particularly as it relates to our ability to deliver qualified fixes to OSE in a timely manner.

Second topic ...

One thing that has been incredibly useful on Hawkular releases is the developer demo (thank you, thank you, thank you). The developer demo has had many benefits including:

    * it shows the new features
    * transparency
    * it helps QE engage
    * it helps other teams who may use this feature, engage

As a suggestion, is it possible you could consider performing a developer demo for each release? I think it would be of great value to those consuming the release, or who may want to consume the release. I would imagine the consumers of Hawk-Metrics would love to see the new features. I know ...as a QE ... that seeing the new features is invaluable first step in testing them.

Third, on a more pragmatic note ... it would be great if ... on each release ...... we could document or share information regarding:

    * No performance regressions. We now have Performance CI in place on Hawk-Metrics ...and I think it would be of great value to show documented evidence that there is no performance regression in the release.
    * OSE Integration ... that this release is compatible with OSE ...and does not cause a major breakage.

Again ... congratulations on yet another release! Well done!

Regards,

Michael Foley
QE Supervisor, Middleware BU