[Hawkular-dev] versioning schema

Jiri Kremser jkremser at redhat.com
Wed Nov 11 07:42:39 EST 2015

Hello,
  I'd like to ask about the policy we want to use for the versioning schema. I've raised a PR [1] that will check the project version and fails the build if it's wrong. This should catch the releases with malformed versions. It's aligned with the JBoss project versioning [2], however, it's not clear how to use the "-SNAPSHOT" suffix. Peter has a good point in the PR comment that some use the x.y.z.Final-SNAPSHOT (final can be also AlphaN, BetaN and CRN) and some x.y.z-SNAPSHOT and when releasing, we add the Final/Alpha, etc.

Looking into wildfly repo, they use the former method. Is this what we want? I personally consider the latter method more natural and we use it in the inventory, despite the fact the hawkular/hawkular uses the x.y.z.AlphaN-SNAPSHOT.

jk

[1]: https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-parent-pom/pull/54
[2]: https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/JBossProjectVersioning