[Hawkular-dev] Inventory model change?

Lukas Krejci lkrejci at redhat.com
Thu Nov 12 10:52:20 EST 2015

On Monday, November 09, 2015 20:55:39 Heiko W.Rupp wrote:
> On 9 Nov 2015, at 20:53, Heiko W.Rupp wrote:
> > On 9 Nov 2015, at 15:45, Lukas Krejci wrote:
> >> There's a couple of things involved:
> >>
> >> 1) The inventory 0.8.0 release was done late on Friday upon Mazz's
> >> request. So
> >> we haven't had time to send PRs to affected projects - in
> >
> > The point is probably, that we can not do that anymore
> > in the future - we will have clients that we will not know
> > about it.
> >
> >> 4) I concentrate more on having the agent working than on producing
> >> some
> >> detailed release notes (and I've been on that today -
> >
> > I am not really asking for release notes, but rather some
> > rules on how to change by code base to get going again.
>
> And "Look at tests in xyz-foobar" will not be the solution here.

Once we get to the point where we're feature complete we can and should think
about API stability. At least with inventory we're not there by a long shot so
I am not particularly willing to trade API clarity for "stability" of sub-par
APIs that we produce and change as we go along.

I'm not talking about changes for changes' sake but about substantial changes
to the model that evolves as we iron out our usecases and workflows.

While I 100% agree with you that we should communicate the changes and provide
migration guide (if not automatic forwarding to new APIs where possible), I
personally don't think we're at the point in the project's life where we can
afford that burden. I personally don't have time to do that that wouldn't be
better spent by burning some of the ever growing backlog of stuff to be done
on inventory so that it can become at least partially usable by clients.