[Hawkular-dev] Cassandra and DataStax driver versions

John Sanda jsanda at redhat.com
Fri Nov 13 14:46:17 EST 2015

There is a PR[1] open for hawkular-parent that upgrades Cassandra from 2.2.0 to 2.2.2 and the driver from 2.2.0-rc2 to 2.2.0-rc3, so now is a good time to discuss this. Earlier this week, Cassandra 3.0 was released[2]. There are some substantial changes including a rewrite of the storage engine to be better optimized for CQL, materialized views, and range deletes to name a few. The driver repo has been maintaining separate branches for each Cassandra branch which has been causing a lot of maintenance overhead. It was announced earlier today on the driver mailing list that the 2.2 branch, which we are currently using, has been merged into the 3.0 branch[3]. There will be no further development on the 2.2 branch. The driver is designed to be backwards compatible such that newer versions of the driver can be used with older versions of Cassandra. This means we could upgrade the driver without upgrading Cassandra; however, I think it makes sense to upgrade Cassandra as well.

Are there any questions, comments, concerns, objections, etc.?

[1] https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-parent-pom/pull/55 <https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-parent-pom/pull/55>
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg44740.html <http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg44740.html>
[3] https://groups.google.com/a/lists.datastax.com/forum/#!topic/java-driver-user/Vu0cD0BguMc <https://groups.google.com/a/lists.datastax.com/forum/#!topic/java-driver-user/Vu0cD0BguMc>