[Hawkular-dev] HWKMETRICS-83 Create glue code component to integrate with hawkular-bus

Thomas Segismont tsegismo at redhat.com
Fri Oct 9 10:58:47 EDT 2015

Hi everyone,

I sent a pull request to the Metrics repo to implement $subject.
https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-metrics/pull/393

I won't paste here the whole PR description, but the following might be
of interest.

There is a new "hawkular-metrics-component" WAR module. It is meant to
replace "hawkular-metrics-api-jaxrs" module in Hawkular deployments.

This new WAR is a "super"-module: it uses Maven WAR plugin overlay
mechanism to add extra classes to the standalone metrics web application.

The extra classes allow to subscribe to the
MetricsService#insertedDataEvents observable and publish messages on the
bus.

In order to make the migration easy, I have shamelessly copied Alerts'
AvailDataMessage and MetricDataMessage classes. Theses messages are
posted on to the "HawkularAvailData" and "HawkularMetricData" topics,
respectively.

After this PR is merged we only need to change the agent code to remove
the "double-push" part. And change Hawkular POM to switch to the new
Metrics component. That's it.

I would like to discuss the JSON payload format later. It might need to
be changed, but let's flip this coin first.

Thanks,
Thomas