[Hawkular-dev] Travis cache pruning

Peter Palaga ppalaga at redhat.com
Thu Oct 15 16:45:44 EDT 2015

Hi *,

I first thought, it would be possible to come up with a pruning strategy
that would be able to remove artifacts from the local repo that were not
used during the last build, but I have not find a way how to filter them
out. I am not sure if any way of relying on file system dates would
bring something useful because the cache is downloaded from persistent
storage as an archive and unpacked just before the build which sets
current dates (on directories at least).

The only solution I can think about is to delete the whole ~/.m2 once
its size gets more than roughly the free space on the disk after the build.
Say that the space available to the build even before downloading any
cache or sources is 5 GB.
Further, say that the build tree after the build spends say 200 MB.
5 GB minus 200 MB is 4.8 GB
4.8 GB / 2 = 2.4 GB would be the size we could allow as the max cache
size. 2.4 GB free space must be enough to pack the 2.4 GB of data to an
archive that will be uploaded to the persistent storage.

Does anybody have a better idea?

Thanks,

Peter