[Hawkular-dev] Is this an applicable use-case for Hawkular

Gary Brown gbrown at redhat.com
Mon Oct 26 05:34:31 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
> Thanks Gary
> On 26 October 2015 at 09:26, Gary Brown < gbrown at redhat.com > wrote:
>

> If you are interested in recording more information about your business
> transaction, then you may want to consider Hawkular BTM. Its currently
> possible to capture the 'call trace' of a business transaction instance and
> analyse the information using Kibana - you can also extract relevant
> properties from the txn (e.g. affiliate) and use that information to focus
> any queries.
> Does this capturing happen via the wildfly agent, or is it possible to do it
> via a java client or rest call?

BTM uses ByteMan to instrument a java app and the information is then reported to the server via a REST API - so it would also be possible for apps to directly report the business transaction info to the server via the same REST API if they wished.

A demo of the latest release can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCIgC3QuJTI

Currently business transaction config details are stored in json files, but I'm currently working on a UI for the next release which should make it a bit easier to work with.

> The intention is to integrate at the backend with Hawkular Metrics and
> Alerts, but this isn't in place at the moment.
> Is there a scheduled plan for this?

Not currently. Before BTM could store information in metrics, this issue https://issues.jboss.org/browse/HWKMETRICS-253 would need to be resolved.

Regards
Gary