[Hawkular-dev] hawkular-agent, prometheus, openshift

Matt Wringe mwringe at redhat.com
Fri Apr 8 18:07:02 EDT 2016

----- Original Message -----

I don't see this as something which should be part of Hawkular Metrics.

Essentially we are going to be dealing with people running various different types of containers in their OpenShift environment. My tomcat server may be exposing metrics in the jolokia format, my golang app over there might be exposing metrics in the prometheus protocol, my other app somewhere else might be exposing their metrics in some other protocol.

We need something to figure out where those endpoints are available from, gather the metadata about the containers which are exposing those endpoints, convert the metrics from one type into something Hawkular Metrics can understand, and then write those metrics (with metadata based tags) into Hawkular Metrics.

I think this needs to be part of a separate component. There is going to be a lot of code here dealing specifically with the OpenShift environment.

If we are reading from a jolokia endpoint and we have an agent which knows how to store jolokia style metrics in Hawkular-Metrics, then we should of course try and reuse components.