[Hawkular-dev] communty distribution question

Gary Brown gbrown at redhat.com
Fri Apr 29 04:44:20 EDT 2016

First of all, apologies if I am reiterating points already discussed, as I haven't had a chance to go through all emails in the thread as there was a lot to catch up on :)

I agree that a middle solution is not really going to work, and could end up leaving community users with the impression that the project is not well supported.

So the two options mentioned:

1) Fully supported community UI
Issue here is that community users will be using capabilities, and a style of management UI, that may never be productised, so they may like the project but not be able to obtain a support subscription.

2) No community UI
I think the problem we were looking to address here is making something easily consumable to help build the community.

Now the decision has been made to unify management products, I think the community equivalent should be as close to the product as possible to better drive community participation to develop features that can move into the product.

So, rather than having a single community UI/distribution, maybe we should focus on the separate deliverables we are looking to support, and see whether community support can be provided to make them easy to consume?

So the community distributions could be:

1) The headless server with core services - so providing a community distribution of the server, with instructions on how to set up manageiq/provider. May not be straightforward initially, but this needs to be simplified for the benefit of both manageiq and other projects in Red Hat that are developing "providers".

2) Metrics (possibly with optional Alerts) server - provide a distribution and instructions on support with projects like grafana - so make it easy to get a complete solution up and running quickly

3) BTM - just provide a standalone community edition for now

So at the moment I don't see a compelling reason for a fully integration community distribution with UI.

Regards
Gary