[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular-metrics resource requirements questions

John Sanda jsanda at redhat.com
Fri Dec 16 11:20:31 EST 2016

> On Dec 16, 2016, at 9:23 AM, Daniel Miranda <danielkza2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you very much John, that is, indeed very helpful. It seems compression will be exactly what I'm looking for for long-term storage.
>
> I did some tests with KairosDB in the meantime, and it seems it can sustain ~20K data points/s with a 3-node Cassandra cluster of t2.large AWS instances (no provisioned IOPS, just 20GB of standard EBS storage).
> I'll to do some similar tests with Hawkular and report my findings.
>
> Can you share the program that you used for the simulated testing, so that I can try a similar pattern with KairosDB?
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

The test lives in my repo in branch named generate-data[1]. The test is named GenerateDataITest.java[2].

* Generating raw/uncompressed data
Checkout the generate-data branch from my repo.

`mvn install -DskipTests -Dlicense.skip -Dcheckstyle.skip` (you only need to build a handful of modules, but this is easier since it reduces number of steps)

`cd core/metrics-core-service`

`mvn verify -Dit.test=GenerateDataITest`

This will generate 7 days of raw data for 5,000 metrics with a data point for every 10 seconds. It make take some time to finish. If the test encounters any errors like a write timeout, it will abort.

When the test finishes, run `nodetool drain`.

Measure the size of the <CASSANDRA_DATA_DIR>/hawkulartest/data-* directory.

* Generating compressed data
This will reuse the raw data generated from the previous steps.

Restart Cassandra (has to be restarted since you did a drain)

`mvn verify -Dit.test=GenerateDataITest -Dcompress`

When the test finishes, run `nodetool drain`.

Measure the size of the <CASSANDRA_DATA_DIR>/hawkulartest/data_compressed* directory.

[1] https://github.com/jsanda/hawkular-metrics/tree/generate-data <https://github.com/jsanda/hawkular-metrics/tree/generate-data>
[2] https://github.com/jsanda/hawkular-metrics/blob/77ed5345b145a3c1f1d4c17885d9ebd31a18421b/core/metrics-core-service/src/test/java/org/hawkular/metrics/core/impl/GenerateDataITest.java <https://github.com/jsanda/hawkular-metrics/blob/77ed5345b145a3c1f1d4c17885d9ebd31a18421b/core/metrics-core-service/src/test/java/org/hawkular/metrics/core/impl/GenerateDataITest.java>