[Hawkular-dev] Eliminating Alerts -> Command Gateway dependency

Peter Palaga ppalaga at redhat.com
Tue Jan 26 08:12:15 EST 2016

Hi Jay, Lucas and *,

I was looking into the possibility to move all message classes [1] from
Command Gateway to Commons. My primary motivation was to eliminate the
dependency of Alerts on Command Gateway. After thinking about the impact
I basically abandoned that idea.

Initially, I thought, the move can be justified by the fact that those
classes define a public API that can be hosted separately from the
implementation. However, we have not done anything like that for any
other component. I think that such a split would make the development of
the command gateway (or any other component) unnecessarily complicated.

Moreover, there is another option [2] you (Alerts guys) seem to foresee
already:

CommandEventListener can be moved to a new deployment in Hawkular.
Hawkular Alerts should not really have knowledge about Hawkular-level
decisions, like which possible Events to filter out or various special
handling that needs to be performed.

Hence I vote for moving CommandEventListener to Hawkular. Do you (Alerts
guys) already have a Jira for that?

Thanks,

Peter

[1] The message classes are generated from these schemas:
https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-command-gateway/tree/master/hawkular-command-gateway-api/src/main/resources/schema
plus some interfaces etc. in
https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-command-gateway/tree/master/hawkular-command-gateway-api/src/main/java/org/hawkular/cmdgw/api

[2]