[Hawkular-dev] Alert trigger flags

Jay Shaughnessy jshaughn at redhat.com
Wed Jan 27 13:48:42 EST 2016

Hi Luba, Let me try and reply inline...

> I am trying to understand the relationship between a number of alert
> trigger flags. While behavior of each individual flag (autoDisable,
> autoEnable and autoResolve) is clear, I have some questions on how
> trigger behaves when some of this flags are turned on:
>
> 1. autoDisable + autoEnable: this combination seems possible and
> logical, the triggers gets disabled, the user tends to alerts fired by
> the trigger, resolves them, the trigger gets enabled

Right. AutoDisable means the trigger will disable after firing, to
prevent repeated firing while the issue is manually resolved.   When the
trigger's alert(s) are set resolved it will be re-enabled automatically
in order to start monitoring your environment again. Together it gives
you an automatic window of trigger inactivity during alert resolution.

> 2. autoDisable + autoResolve: does this combination make sense? I can
> imagine trigger fires an alert, goes into disabled state. Does it
> switch into evaluating autoresolve conditions? If user manually
> enables such trigger after it got disabled after firing, will it be
> evaluating autoresolve conditions?

Good question.  AutoDisable does not make sense when AutoResolve is
being used and therefore it's setting is ignored.   With AutoResolve in
use,  when the trigger fires it changes to AUTO_RESOLVE mode and will
not again fire until the auto resolve conditions are met or the alert is
manually resolved.  In this case the trigger must be manually disabled
to stop it from processing.  When manually enabled a trigger will always
start in FIRING mode.

> 3. autoEnable + autoResolve: same questions as before: alert fires,
> trigger starts to evaluate resolve conditions, then got disabled
> manually. User resolves alerts, the trigger becomes enabled because of
> autoEnable flag, but does it evaluate resolve conditions or problem
> conditions?

AutoEnable is not usually relevant when AutoResolve is being used. But,
if the trigger were to be manually disabled, then AutoEnable would take
effect when the trigger's alert(s) were manually resolved.  When
triggers are enabled they always start in FIRING mode.

> I would appreciate your help in clarifying the questions.
>
> Thanks,
> Luba

Thanks for your interest!  Please feel free to ask questions and offer
suggestions to help us ensure the behavior is what people need!