[Hawkular-dev] how to avoid required sysprops

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Thu Jan 28 08:12:17 EST 2016

I saw Juca posted this in a github comment:

> That happens because the `keycloak.server.url` property is not set, so, it
> defaults to localhost:8080 . You can start the server with
> `-Dkeycloak.server.url=http://localhost:8180/auth`
>
> ---
> https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-btm/pull/281#issuecomment-176169067

I think this is the problem I saw yesterday with my inventory going screwy (not sure, but I was using port offset, and didn't set that sysprop).

I bring this up to ask - is there anything we can do to not require that sysprop to be set? For example, is there some startup hook we can have that sets this automatically? I don't know if it's possible, but, it is pretty clear this is going to be a common problem that people will forget to set this anytime they bind to a different address (using -b) or using a different port offset.

Is there a JIRA on this so we can try to address it in the future?

I suppose if we do have some kind of installer, one solution would be the installer would add this sysprop to the startup .conf file.