[Hawkular-dev] using hawkular wildfly agent as a custom java agent

Thomas Segismont tsegismo at redhat.com
Thu Mar 24 05:37:18 EDT 2016

Sorry missed that part:

> Having the agent running in an EAP instance be able to monitor other
> jolokia end points is cool. But I don't really understand why this isn't a
> more standalone java application. I would think it would be much more
> useful to be able to have a standalone java agent which could run on the
> same system which is exposing the jolokia endpoint. Say I am only running
> Tomcat servers and I don't want to run Wildfly just to be able to gather
> the metrics from Tomcat.

A lot of people in the Java community use JMXTrans or embedded JMXTrans to
monitor Tomcat. As mentioned previously, JMXTrans can send data to ptrans
over the Graphite protocol.

<mea culpa>
I have all the setup details and article ready since last summer
HWKMETRICS-158 Write an article to explain how to use Metrics + JMXTrans +
Grafana to monitor Tomcat application
I did not publish because I wanted to create a video and then my attention
was brought to other things. It's a shame. I will fix this.
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/HWKMETRICS-158
</mea culpa>

--
Thomas Segismont