[Hawkular-dev] using hawkular wildfly agent as a custom java agent

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Wed Mar 30 12:42:50 EDT 2016

> We are actively working on other integration efforts, so we definitely need
> to look beyond WildFly/EAP.
>
> What I'm cautioning against is trying to build all feeds ourselves. In RHQ we
> used a lot of manpower to build and maintain a lot of agent plugins. There
> is goodness in providing interfaces and infrastructure that make integrating
> as easy as possible, and then trying to avoid doing all of the integration
> work as well. This is the model that is working for miq.

This is why I'm looking at eventually building a python agent (similar to the Hawkular WildFly Agent but more pluggable to support custom managed resources). This would be more than the clients we have today - the clients we have today (ruby client for example) just exposes an API to talk to Hawkular Metrics, Inventory, etc. I want an extensible agent that provides a way for you to do what our RHQ plugins did - just write code that collects the metrics, inventory, executes ops and the agent will provide an infrastructure around it. At least, that's my plan. Who knows what people tell me to do next week :)