[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular-Archive - New Org

Peter Palaga ppalaga at redhat.com
Thu May 5 07:33:31 EDT 2016

Hi Stefan, inline...

On 2016-05-02 18:00, Stefan Negrea wrote:
> Hello Peter,
>
> The type of problem that you raised is the exact reason why I proposed
> another org. Why would you have a source dep on something that is no
> longer maintained?

srcdeps on those now abandoned repos are there in the histories of our
components. It is the sustaining engineer speaking out of me, that it
should be possible to re-build any old commit of any git repo. It may
turn out to be necessary to build old commits in the future for whatever
reason (e.g. when using git bisect to find the commit that introduced
some bug). By changing the git repo URL, we break the builds of those
old commits. It is like removing artifacts from Maven Central.

Abandoned repos should be marked as such and that's all we should do.

Thanks,

-- P