[Hawkular-dev] Definition the concept of Application in Hawkular BTM

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Fri May 13 05:14:37 EDT 2016

On 12 May 2016, at 14:47, Gary Brown wrote:
> So possibly rather than application, it should be termed "service"?
> which would actually match the microservices world better anyway.

An application is in my understanding composed of multiple services.
Those can be micro services calling other micro services, external
providers
or things just like a database. Some may be provided by multiple micro
services
running (or being deployed) in parallel on several machines.

I don't think the concept of an application in the BTM world is much
different
from what we always said.

A user first wants to know "is my application doing all right?". And if
not,
she wants to zoom in to figure out where bottlenecks are.
The other direction is true as well: the user sees a machine clamped at
100%
cpu and wants to see what is creating the load, which service and
ultimately
which application (and if only for billing purposes).