[Hawkular-dev] Definition the concept of Application in Hawkular BTM

Gary Brown gbrown at redhat.com
Fri May 13 06:04:39 EDT 2016

----- Original Message -----
> On 12 May 2016, at 14:47, Gary Brown wrote:
> > So possibly rather than application, it should be termed "service"?
> > which would actually match the microservices world better anyway.
>
> An application is in my understanding composed of multiple services.
> Those can be micro services calling other micro services, external
> providers
> or things just like a database. Some may be provided by multiple micro
> services
> running (or being deployed) in parallel on several machines.

+1

> I don't think the concept of an application in the BTM world is much
> different
> from what we always said.
>
> A user first wants to know "is my application doing all right?". And if
> not,
> she wants to zoom in to figure out where bottlenecks are.
> The other direction is true as well: the user sees a machine clamped at
> 100%
> cpu and wants to see what is creating the load, which service and
> ultimately
> which application (and if only for billing purposes).

I think we need to build up a list of use cases that we wish to support with the integration of MiQ and BTM.

But as outlined in your scenarios, it will be important to have a common concept of services and resources across the two. At the moment BTM only understands activities triggered at endpoints, so this needs to be linked to these static notions of service and resource (e.g. database).

Regards
Gary