[Hawkular-dev] Do we still need the nest? Or: do we still need Wildfly Patching?

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Mon May 23 09:55:03 EDT 2016

> Bringing a discussion from IRC to the mailing list: do we still need the
> Nest? It seems that the only reason we need the Nest at this point is
> that it provides Wildfly Patching support.

FYI: here's a hipchat question I posted and David's reply:

[9:27 AM] Mazz: I need a quick confirmation - last I researched this, in order to be able to have a "patchable" product, we cannot deploy our ears/wars via deployment scanner in standalone/deployments - we need to put them in a module subsystem ala "a mixed approach" discussed here: https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/ExtendingAS7
[9:28 AM] Mazz: is this still the case? Or does the latest WildFly patching mechanism somehow workaround the issues and allow for standalone/deployments to be patchable?
[9:29 AM] Mazz: I am assuming it is still recommended to NOT ship things in standalone/deployment if those things are expected to be patchable. But I ask only because it came up again today and since it has been a while since I looked into this, I figure I should ask again.
[9:44 AM] David M. Lloyd: AFAIK nothing has changed in this area