[Hawkular-dev] Get rid of Travis?

Pavol Loffay ploffay at redhat.com
Tue Oct 11 04:01:16 EDT 2016

Hello,

in APM we have changed travis image from 'STANDARD' to 'TRUSTY BETA' [1].
So far it works great without any failed builds, before builds were failing
all the time.
Even the build time has improved see [3] for master and [4] for PRs.
PR changing to 'TRUSTY BETA' [2].

[1]: https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/ci-environment/
[2]: https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-apm/pull/494
[3]: https://travis-ci.org/hawkular/hawkular-apm/builds
[4]: https://travis-ci.org/hawkular/hawkular-apm/pull_requests

Pavol

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Michael Burman <miburman at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm proposing we get rid of the Travis for now (at least for metrics)
> and stick to something else, such as the old Jenkins. At the moment, it
> can take several runs for metrics PRs to finish, since Cassandra stops
> responding in the Travis runs every time. Yesterday I started my PR 4
> times, last week one PR for 10 times.
>
> 22:28:24,629 ERROR [com.datastax.driver.core.ControlConnection]
> (cluster1-reconnection-1) [Control connection] Cannot connect to any
> host, scheduling retry in 600000 milliseconds
>
> Sometimes it doesn't even get this far and fails with running the
> installation script of Cassandra. These errors have made the Travis runs
> completely irrelevant, whenever they fail it just makes sense to restart
> them without reading logs (we should get automatic script to restart
> always when it fails) until they succeed. No errors reported by Travis
> are trustworthy.
>
> We need a working CI solution and this isn't it. There's no "community
> visibility" if the results have no meaning, using Jenkins at least
> provides us with "failed / not failed", Travis doesn't provide even this.
>
>    -  Micke

Pavol Loffay
Cell: +421948286055
Red Hat