[Hawkular-dev] Integrating APM data into H-Metrics

Juraci Paixão Kröhling jpkroehling at redhat.com
Tue Jan 10 06:51:57 EST 2017

On 01/09/2017 06:16 PM, Gary Brown wrote:
> Anyone got some good use cases, i.e. examples of useful business KPIs?

Not exactly "business KPI", but on the realm of "X per second", there
are cases that we could start with that would provide immediate business
insight/alerting to an application:

- requests in geo: so that it can be detected when a specific location
(using a geo IP database) is having troubles. For instance, if I get a
sudden drop of 20% in the number of requests coming from Europe, I'd
like to get an alert. "How many users are in Europe" is an answer that
Google Analytics gives, but might be interesting to plot on APM as well;

- mobile users: if the number of requests coming from mobile users
(detected by user agent string) drops 20%, there might be a problem with
the mobile version of my application;

- endpoint requests: I think we have almost all bits for this one
already: if I get a 20% drop in the number of requests to a particular
endpoint, I'd like to get notified. For modern backend applications, one
endpoint is usually one business transaction, so, it's easy for an end
user to add alerting to business transactions by watching those endpoints;

- requests: the simplest of all, just show how many requests per second
the application is currently serving. If I get a 20% drop, there's
something wrong "somewhere", which is already an information "good
enough" to start with :)

- Juca.