[Hawkular-dev] agent running as a VM javaagent - non-EAP based solution

Thomas Cunningham tcunning at redhat.com
Thu Mar 9 16:50:19 EST 2017

I've been testing this out for the past day, and this is fantastic.   I
have it attached to Karaf pushing metrics to Hawkular and it looks like
it's working very well.   I'm trying it on SpringBoot next, but if it works
on Karaf, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work on SpringBoot.

Things I'd like to contribute back possibly if they sound interesting :

- delay (the delay X seconds is useful, but I'd like to have a way of
polling to see if the MBeans are registered yet, and then starting the
agent)
- size of javaagent : it looks like the JAR is about 24MB, I might look
into seeing if there's a way of slimming that down.    For our purposes,
we're only really interested in JMX support, so I'm going to see if I can
build a profile that filters out the DMR stuff and their dependencies for a
smaller fat JAR
- optional log integration with Karaf?