[Hawkular-dev] Application metrics from Jaeger clients

Gary Brown gbrown at redhat.com
Mon May 8 09:05:30 EDT 2017

Hi John

----- Original Message -----
> In Prometheus metric names do not have to unique, but I believe the
> combination of tags and the name must be unique. You cannot change the tags.
> Doing so creates a new time series.

Ok, so what is being suggested would make sense, in that there would be a different timeseries for each combination of name and tags, e.g. jaeger-rpc.requests.myservice.fooendpoint.err.5xx.http.inbound - would be one possibility.

Is it then possible in h-metrics to aggregate across subgroups - e.g. jaeger-rpc.requests.myservice.fooendpoint.err.*.*.inbound - representing all types of inbound errors? or jaeger-rpc.requests.myservice.err - representing all failures on that service?

> In Hawkular Metrics the metric name must
> be unique for a given metric type and within a single tenant. For example,
> you cannot have two jaeger-rcp.requests counters living within the same
> tenant.

Not sure I understand - how would you get more than one? If for example there are two instances of that service running in different containers, and each reporting metrics for jaeger-rpc.requests.myservice.fooendpoint , is that ok? Will they be accumulated at the server?

Regards
Gary