[Hawkular-dev] Generic Hawkular-UI in MiQ

Caina Costa cacosta at redhat.com
Thu May 25 14:30:21 EDT 2017

So, I did some research on the codebase for possible pain points for this
change. It looks completely doable, albeit that's going to be quite a bit
work to get it correctly. As for backend details, I've been thinking about
having a "base" entity, provably something like MiddlewareEntity, which
would have the fields in common for all entities as usual, as well as a
"metadata" field exposed as a JSON, and then we can work from there to get
everything else working.

There are some questions that I have:

* What kind of metadata are we talking about, is it static or more of
schema-less data?
* Are we talking only about showing the data, or also editing, filtering
and searching?
* How should the backend present it to the frontend? As a normal controller
or through an API?
* In case we have more metadata in the future to be available for all
entities, how should we migrate the older ones?
* Is there a way to present JSON Schema (http://json-schema.org/) from the
Agent to MiQ, or at least to have that defined before we start working on
it?
* How are "capabilities" supposed to be shown to MiQ? Let's say, a server
has the support on running operations, can we assume that this will be
signaled somewhere to us?
* How much of the control on what MiQ can do should be available on
miq-side and how much should be provided by the agent? Let's say, right now
manageiq has the knowledge on whether a server is mutable or not, and based
on that knowledge we decide if we should enable server operations or not. I
don't think that's ideal, and in my mind the ideal case would be having
something like that on the data:

{ "capabilities": ["operations", "metrics"] }

And from that we should show the correct info/actions on the page.

As a bottom point, I like this feature very much, as it can reduce the
amount of info ManageIQ has to act upon, by moving responsibilities from it
to the agent.