[Hawkular-dev] Generic Hawkular-UI in MiQ

Jay Shaughnessy jshaughn at redhat.com
Tue May 30 17:11:42 EDT 2017

OK, I can certainly see the advantage of being able to add to or update
our supported entities without requiring changes to MIQ.  As Mazz said,
it's a throwback to RHQ where persistence and UI was generically
implemented.  The question is whether we can do something similar but
more simple. It's not a small undertaking to convert to a config-driven
UI, especially within the confines of MIQ.  My suggestion to have the
UI-config differ from the agent config was motivated by a few things:

  * the UI config may need more presentation-only info, I'm not sure
  * the UI config wouldn't necessarily need everything in the agent config
  * it maintains our current decentralized approach to agent config

On the downside, it would mean keeping another config up to date and
having the server provide it in some way to the gem/ui.  It's also not
clear to me MIQ will green-light a generic approach to the db-tables.
When I tried to do some generic things early on it was rejected in favor
of explicit fields and maintaining consistency with the way things were
being done elsewhere.  Note that there are hooks with events and alerts,
and maybe metrics, that would likely need to be revisited if we move to
a more generic approach to the tables.