[hibernate-dev] Re: sybase setup

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Fri May 25 09:27:08 EDT 2007

1) I would guess that this because of temp tables.  Hibernate allows the
Dialect to say whether or not the database supports DDL statements
within a transaction.  Sybase does not override this; the default is to
query the JDBC metadata to see whether DDL is allowed within
transactions (see links below).  My guess is that Sybase simply does not
or not set; it probably just blindly says "yeah, we support it...".  We
can look at changing this behavior for Sybase.  You can imagine where
this goes on the priority list ;)
2) Believe it or not, as the lead of Hibernate I actually do subscribe
to the hibernate-dev list ;)

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/sql/DatabaseMetaData.html#dataDefinitionCausesTransactionCommit()
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/sql/DatabaseMetaData.html#dataDefinitionIgnoredInTransactions()