[hibernate-dev] Re: sybase setup

Aleksandar Kostadinov akostadi at redhat.com
Fri May 25 09:50:07 EDT 2007

Steve Ebersole wrote, On 05/25/2007 04:27 PM (EEST):
> 1) I would guess that this because of temp tables.  Hibernate allows the
> Dialect to say whether or not the database supports DDL statements
> within a transaction.  Sybase does not override this; the default is to
> query the JDBC metadata to see whether DDL is allowed within
> transactions (see links below).  My guess is that Sybase simply does not
> or not set; it probably just blindly says "yeah, we support it...".  We
> can look at changing this behavior for Sybase.  You can imagine where
> this goes on the priority list ;)

I would think disabling 'ddl in tran' no matter what sybase reports as
they think it is not good to use it. System tables were locked using
that feature and blah blah...

Anyway I'm sure you know best what implications will that bring so I
just say what I know and you decide if it makes sense.

> 2) Believe it or not, as the lead of Hibernate I actually do subscribe
> to the hibernate-dev list ;)
>

> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/sql/DatabaseMetaData.html#dataDefinitionCausesTransactionCommit()
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/sql/DatabaseMetaData.html#dataDefinitionIgnoredInTransactions()

I actually think sybase neither ignores neither commits but just fails
the transaction. I actually haven't experienced it myself. It was Shelly
McGowan who reported the error so I might be wrong. As well it is a per
database option in sybase and could be set for the user databse but not
for the temporary database.

So it would be a good idea to be at least documented as an issue with
sybase.