[hibernate-dev] Backward compatibilty latest snapshot

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu Mar 26 20:58:59 EDT 2009

DialectFactory constituted a circular package dependency between
o.h.dialect and o.h.dialect.resolver.  It was moved to the
o.h.dialect.resolver package to alleviate that circularity (yes we have
tons of such circularity in Hibernate, but we have to start cleaning up
somewhere).

Sadly, even that move really did not address the underlying
public/internal issue because o.h.dialect and its sub-packages still
contain a mix of public stuff and internal stuff.  I expect this to get
addresses again later but certainly not for 3.3 or 3.5.  Probably not
until 4.0

On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 19:33 -0400, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
> DialectFactory is not a public API AFAIK but I know Grails had to use
> a bunch of non public API esp on the mapping side.
> So two solutions here:
>  - it makes sense to move back DialectFactory to the dialect package,
> Steve's call (note that the interface might have changed anyway
>  - get the grails engine adapt to the new DialectFactory
>

> Note that this change has been back ported to Hibernate 3.3.x so that
> will be a problem for Grails when they upgrade.
>

> You will have to reach Graeme and the team to coordinate a bit.
>
> On  Mar 26, 2009, at 15:27, Marcel Overdijk wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried to play with the latest 3.5.0-SNAPSHOT within my Grails 1.1
> > project to integrate Hibernate Search.
> > Grails 1.1 is bases on Hibernate 3.3.1.
> >
> > The problem I'm facing now is that 3.5.0-snapshot does not seem to
> > be backward compatible with 3.3.1
> > org.hibernate.dialect.DialectFactory was moved to
> > org.hibernate.dialect.resolver.DialectFactory (part of
> > http://fisheye.jboss.com/changelog/Hibernate?cs=15343).
> > Grails is using this factory class internally.
> >
> > Sure thing is I can check out Grails source code change the package
> > and build Grails.
> > I'm just wondering now if the above change is just bad luck, or that
> > I will face a lot of other refactorings?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Marcel
Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org>
Hibernate.org