[hibernate-dev] Core Logging WTF!?

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu Nov 11 10:55:27 EST 2010

On Thursday, November 11, 2010, at 09:38 am, Hardy Ferentschik wrote:
> If I understand the documentation
> (http://www.slf4j.org/api/org/slf4j/impl/SimpleLogger.html)
> correctly it just logs info messages. Personally, I find myself quite
> often turning on
> debug logging.

Yep, again it was a temporary thing in my mind.  I prefer the
"local/properties" approach longer term.  Then we can use the log4j binding
and pick up log4j.properties from classpath via local/properties.  The idea is
that local/ is named in .gitignore.

> Is this really such a big issue? What's the harm if someone accidentally
> checks in his logging settings?

Long(er) build times.  Bloated Hudson workspaces.  I guess thats it.  Are you
going to watch for this?  And contact the committer to revert it when it does
happen?  The point is its an unecessary situation anyway.

---
Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org>
http://hibernate.org