[hibernate-dev] [HV] Implementing method validation (was "HV-562")

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Fri May 11 06:13:21 EDT 2012

On May 11, 2012, at 9:31 AM, Gunnar Morling wrote:

> > What do you think about pushing this to master. As we develop the missing features we just
> > re-enable things.
>
> So far we've always developed new features on individual branches (within our forked repos) and had them pulled into master afterwards. That way master was always relatively stable and had a good quality.
>
> This would change if we integrate individual changes of the method validation work into master. IMO this wouldn't be a problem per se, as long as we only work on HV-571. But we might get problems if we decide to work on further, unrelated issues in parallel. For instance we wouldn't recognize that such a change causes one of the tests disabled for HV-571 to fail.

Fair enough. I don't think that there will be many other things coming up while we fix HV-571, but it is probably better to have this branch until all tests pass again. HV-571 has highest priority atm.
I pushed my HV-571 branch to https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-validator/tree/HV-571. We can share this branch for the work

In ORM we have https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/tree/metamodel for the metamodel work. So we do the same thing there.

> +1. I think I'll start tomorrow. Regarding the current proprietary API, I see no way we can keep it, as for instance there are methods in the BV API with same names but with different return types. So I think we should remove it completely. WDYT?

+1 That was our plan to begin with and also one of the reason why we have a version jump from 4 to 5 now.

--Hardy