[hibernate-dev] Checkstyle: enforced!

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Fri Apr 19 06:19:47 EDT 2013

2013/4/19 Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org>

> +1
> next on my wishlist, and was already chatting about it with Steve the
> other days. You guys should not hide from IRC :-P
> I won't be able to do it now, but feel free to add the repository,
> package name and necessary configuration changes in the
> ci.hibernate.org repository so that it gets auto-installed as well at
> the next machine refresh. Or I'll look into it when I can.
>
> What URL would you all expect it on? Apparently if we want a different
> subdomain that takes quite some time; I'd expect something like
>
> - ci.hibernate.org/sonar ?
> - sonar.hibernate.org ?
> - hibernate.org/sonar ?
>
> I'd pick the first one as I perceive it as a secondary service, we can
> then add a prominent link on the header of ci.hibernate.org to point
> to it: we'd likely want to edit the header anyway to link to
> hibernate.org, github et al.

I guess I'd like sonar.hibernate.org most since I'd consider the two
services to be on the same level. But the others surely work, too.

One issue I had in the past with Sonar was that its configuration
(FindBugs, CheckStyle etc.) was independent from the corresponding
configuration for the build (Maven plug-ins). I.e. you had to change config
at two places when e.g. adding a new rule.

Therefore I preferred to use the Jenkins plug-ins for FindBugs, CheckStyle
etc, which then could use the same configuration as the Maven plug-ins.
Maybe that's not an issue anymore, though.

FWIW, I also liked having this info in Jenkins directly instead of having
yet another tool. But if you all love Sonar, that's fine with me, too.

--Gunnar