[hibernate-dev] New unified XML handling

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Sun Feb 9 10:30:37 EST 2014

Gail, et al.

I am starting to integrate the new unified XML handling into the process of
building a Metadata object.  Logically this sits at the level of "source
processing" (source package).  The concept of a MetadataSourceProcessor is
kind of obsolete because there is just one process to apply (annotations
+xml-overrides & metadata-complete-xml).

Because the output of this unified process is a Jandex index, one option is
to replace "source" with direct Jandex.  Another option is to keep "source"
and have it be a wrapper around Jandex.  This second option is likely
quicker turnaround since we can mostly reuse the annotation source
processor code.  Also, wrapping the Jandex calls this ways lets us apply
some simplification of the questions we ask of the data.  Not to mention it
would probably be a good idea to encapsulate as much as possible this
reliance on external libs.  There are some concerns to this approach though
to my mind.  My main concern is performance, as this requires us to
instantiate all the "source" wrappers around Jandex.

What do y'all think?