[hibernate-dev] Standalone service registry

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Thu Jan 16 11:01:39 EST 2014

2014/1/16 Hardy Ferentschik <hardy at hibernate.org>

> On 16 Jan 2014, at 13:42, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:
>
> >> Part of the discussion that I had with Steve this morning, and the
> piece that he particularly wanted to discuss here, is how to perform the
> extraction and where to put it:
> >>
> >> * Is this standalone service registry its own project, separate from
> the hibernate-orm project. Would that make it easier to use in other
> projects? Or is it a hibernate-ssr module within the hibernate-orm project.
> >>
> >> * Is it called hibernate-ssr or perhaps hibernate-serviceregistry?
> Perhaps the later is more appropriate especially if it’s a separate project.
> >
> > I agree with Hardy (from IRC) that hibernate-serviceregistry is better
> > than hibernate-ssr.  For me the question really comes down to choosing
> > between:
>
> +1 for hibernate-serviceregistry. For me ssr is just too cryptic and and
> we usually use full names in modules/projects.
>
> > a) https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/hibernate-serviceregistry
> > b) https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-serviceregistry
>
> I could live with both. As Steve is saying, there are pro and cons for
> both. Personally, I have a slight preference for #b.

I'd also prefer #b. A separate repo emphasizes that it is a separate
project (which can be used without ORM) and it e.g. would allow to set up
separate permissions, so there could be people which can commit to the
registry and not to ORM and the other way around.

> >From a consumer point of view, I am not so sure which other Hibernate
> project would benefit from this atm.
> Validator has no use of it. Search maybe, but I see that a fair bit in the
> future. The concepts and ideas we took from ORM into
> the new Search ServiceManager fulfil the requirements in Search. I don’t
> think there is an immediate need there for a service registry
> artifact. Not sure about OGM!?

We use the registry (as it is, i.e. no modifications or copied stuff) quite
a bit, but I don't think we'd gain much atm. if it was a separate artifact.
We'd have to use the version pulled in by ORM all time anyways.