[hibernate-dev] StatelessSession and JTA platform without transaction manager

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 05:33:29 EDT 2018

Hi,

I'm triaging the latest issues and I stumbled upon this one:
https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HHH-13002 .

This particular issue happens because our OSGi stuff enforce an
OsgiJtaPlatform even if there is no JTA transaction manager.

I'm not very familiar with JTA in ORM but I find suspicious that
StatelessSession doesn't check somehow that a JTA transaction manager is in
motion before checking things with it namely here:
https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/blob/master/hibernate-core/src/main/java/org/hibernate/internal/StatelessSessionImpl.java#L674

In SessionFactoryImpl, we somehow check that the JTA transaction manager is
OK here:
https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/blob/master/hibernate-core/src/main/java/org/hibernate/internal/SessionFactoryImpl.java#L1011
I suppose that's why standard sessions are not affected.

Not sure what the right fix would be so I thought I might as well ask.

Thanks for any insights.

--
Guillaume