[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Spatial - JTS update - compatibility issue

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 09:42:00 EDT 2018

Hi list, Karel,

In https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HHH-12144 , people are asking
about a JTS upgrade and at least one person seems to be willing to
contribute it.

The issue is that in newer JTS versions, they have changed the package
names so we would have a compatibility issue (see
https://github.com/locationtech/jts/blob/master/MIGRATION.md), which, if I
understand our spatial support correctly, would require hibernate-spatial
users to change their own code.

So the big question is: would that be acceptable to do in a potential 5.4
or should we wait for 6?

I'm not exactly sure of the type of compatibility guarantees we offer for
hibernate-spatial.

Karel, do you have plans for it?

Thanks,

--