[hibernate-dev] [ORM] Reducing startup log verbosity

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu Jan 10 05:19:43 EST 2019

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 01:44, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:

> I disagree that logging a single message is a better solution because that probably ends up wrapping multiple lines, just as your sample happened to do in the email.  IMO that is actually more difficult to read.

Ok keep it in one line if you prefer. No strong preference on how it's
presented, but I think it's a big mistake to hide essential
diagnostics: "paste the logs" is often useful when helping someone; it
gets much harder if you first have to change categories.

> And I just do not understand this idea that we have to direct people to enable logging to track down problems.  This is a non-argument to me.

I can understand were you're coming from, but that's how most support
people work. Let's try to be nice to them :)

> As for what logger to use... that is definitely a concern, though its not really any different than we have today.  If I refactor an internal class (because, well, its internal) - that almost always will affect logging on the user's end.  It's one of the reasons I started looking at using "symbolic" logger names.  Which of course is its own concern.

+1 those symbolic loggers are a great idea. But then please don't hide
this information at least until we have those easier logger
categories: Guillaume is set to patch 5.4x - which doesn't have them
yet.

Thanks,
Sanne